Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Developing those qualities of leadership…

Recently, our district had our Forestry Contest.  After discussing the this opportunity with my students, one rather mischievous young man came up to me and said “Mr. Z, I competed in the forestry contest with the Career Center last year, I want to be on the team, and possibly help coach.”

Needless to say, I was a little startled.  During the first week, of the school year, I was warned about this student (for the sake of privacy, we’ll call him John).  One teacher went as far as to say he was “a lost cause.” 

Needless to say, my teaching partner and I allowed him to lead our practices.   I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw that how effective he was at preparing the other students for the contest! It was only until after the first practice that we found out that he had a summer job in the forestry industry, and he really enjoyed discussing forestry with others. 

In the short time the group had to prepare for this contest, our kids showed that they were dedicated to competing as best they could.  John and the rest of the students did very well at the contest, and all of them were very pleased with how they placed.  I was in high spirits knowing that a student that most of our teachers cast aside stepped up to the plate and helped 24 other students better themselves.

Does this one contest mean that John has changed forever? I don’t know, let’s hope so, but what I do know is that this CDE helped show a “troubled” student that he can help his peers, and he has the ability to lead a group effectively.

Agricultural Education and Career Development Events…Developing those qualities of leadership, which an FFA member should possess.

Posted by Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment