Thursday, September 23, 2010

Laying down "The Law"

I am blunt and get to the point. But usually through ridiculous stories. So enjoy that. My first thought is that I am in my second year of teaching, back at the school I graduated from. A little weird, but not like you might think. It's nice to know exactly who I can and can't yell at and how. I'm a person of small stature, so being loud is how I get heard. And sometimes, I use “The Law” to get heard. Positively and negatively.

A week or so ago I had to lay down “The Law.” “The Law,” is a 1 inch thick, 30 inch long wooden rod I found in our shop, that I labeled, “Ms. McGovern's The Law.” Now I know what you are thinking, “OMG, this lady beats her students!” No, no. Not the case. I am too small and solely use it for intimidation.

 But, I did already put a crack in The Law. On this particular day, I had a lot of things on my mind, Ag Ed related, and non-Ag Ed related. During my AgBusiness class, a student of mine said something so abstract and so off the wall, I laughed so hard I made no sound, and slapped The Law on the table. I was almost in tears and just turned around and slapped The Law on another table and kept on laughing. So what does The Law have to do with the point I am making today? After an extremely rough first year in the State-Up-North, I have learned to laugh and to loose your composure when necessary. You just have too. Kids need to see you are a human being too, and that sometimes you just need to laugh to stay sane. Stay Sane My Friends!

Post by Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment