Sunday, October 3, 2010

Connecting with Students Outside of the Classroom

        One thing I have learned over the past year is the importance of the connections made with students outside of the classroom.  I believe not enough teachers take advantage of opportunities to support their stduents outside of the school day.  Some teachers just show up in the morning, get through their lessons for the day and then just go home. How can you expect to make a sound connection with students with only seeing them for 40-120 minutes a day. Both educators and students need to see another in a different situation. It's funny to say but true, that students sometimes forget that teachers are people too and like to relax and have a life outside of school.
       I try to make it a point to attend a variety of activities put on by the different student groups in the high school even if my students are not in those activities.  It is important to me to be able to support all the students of the high school.  I have had students come up and thank me for coming to see them at their event and ask where I was if I missed.  It is also enjoyable to brighten a students day with just asking how their event went the next day at school.
        I had the opportunity to chaperone the Prom last spring and Homecoming this weekend. It is always great to see all the kids dressed up and having fun with their friends. They really get a smile on their faces when you tell them how nice they look all dressed up.  They are always surprised to see you there but you can tell they appreciate you sharing their special night with them.
        I will always continue to support all the students the best I can. The connections made with students today both inside and outside the classroom will last a lifetime.

The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called "truth."  ~Dan Rather

1 comment:

  1. I love that you see it as an opportunity rather than a chore to do that! The spirit is certainly different and I bet the students get it.

    ReplyDelete