Thursday, March 24, 2011

Do What You Love - Love What You Do

"The mediocre teacher tells. The teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."
- William Arthur Ward
First off, HAPPY TEACH AG DAY!!!! If you didn't know, today was National Teach Ag Day. I must admit I was quite pumped all day to share my passion for teaching with my students. As I tell my students, there is nothing else I would rather be doing than to be a teacher of agriculture.

I was set becoming an Ag Education teacher even before I was in high school. My family has had a little history in the field of agricultural education with my father who taught Vo-Ag for 15 years and my great-uncle who finished his career by serving as Department Chair for the Agricultural Education Dept. at The Ohio State University.  So, I was quite aware of how the life of an Ag Education teacher was early on.

When I was in high school, I had one of the best teachers in the nation as my Ag teacher. She possessed all of the great qualities you would expect an Agricultural Education teacher should have.  I have thanked her many times for always pushing me to strive to do my best and for all the hard work she did to help our FFA Chapter reach #1 in the state.

It is because of my father and my Ag Ed teacher I am the teacher I am today. I set the standards high for my students. My classmates and I were held to high standards when we were in class and it paid off greatly. I know my students can achieve success too. I will bend over backwards and do everything I can do to help my students succeed. I know that even though I spend endless hours at school for FFA activities, competition practices or just planning lessons for the next day, that it is all worth it. I really enjoy seeing my students succeed and having those "ohhh now I get it" moments. 

I have been fortunate to see a big change in my students over the past two years from when I walked in Day 1 to now.  It is amazing to see them from being shy freshman or stubborn sophmores to leading others by becoming an officer and by participating in Career Development Events and encouraging others to join them. 

I can't wait to see what the next few years will bring for me and my students. It hard to imagine that I am training them for jobs that have not been created and for skills that have not yet been needed. All I can do is help them find their passion and guide them to the tools that will help them succeed.

Here are some interesting statistics about Agricultural Education via National FFA
  • There are about 8,200 Agricultural Education programs across the U.S. and Puerto Rico
  • Within those programs there are around 12,000 educators employed
  • 23% of teachers have five or fewer years of teaching experience
  • Of all the programs - 92% offer Agriscience; 71% offer advanced agriscience and biotechnology; 59% offer agricultural mechanics, 49% offer horticulture; 43% offer animal science; and 24% offer environmental science.
How has a teacher that you've had inspired or has had an impact on who you are today?? Leave a comment and share.

Blog post by Drew Bender

2 comments:

  1. I am glad we have lots of great Ag Teachers out there. They play an important role in developing the next generation of leaders, whether those students choose to say in agriculture or not. Hope you had a great day!
    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad we have lots of great Ag Teachers out there. They play an important role in developing the next generation of leaders, whether those students choose to say in agriculture or not. Hope you had a great day!
    www.roysfarm.com

    ReplyDelete